Senate Speaker: Hunter Windholz: email@example.com
Senate Speaker Office Hours:
Monday and Wednesday: 2-4
Tuesday and Thursday: 11-12:30 and 2-3
Friday: By appointment
The Legislative Branch of MSA is the Senate, which consists of 71 elected student senators and headed by the Senate Speaker. Internally, the Senate serves as a check to the executive and judicial branches by creating policies, rules, and regulations that guide the operations of MSA. Externally, the Senate represents the interest of the student body within the University and around the Mizzou community through several means including collaborating with other entities and the creation of resolutions.
Each of MSA’s six Senate Committees is charged with a specific area of student life or MSA. All Senators are voting members of a committee, and meetings are open to the public. Committees are presented bills which must be voted through before being brought to full Senate.
All committee meetings are open to the public! PLEASE, come voice your opinion at them. Committee meetings are at 7pm on Tuesday nights, Full Senate is every other Wednesday at 6pm. Email the MSA Speaker for more information.
You can view an updated list of Senators and their contact information.
Thinking About Becoming a Senator?
Anyone wishing to get involved with us must be in good standing with the University.
- Must attend one MSA Senate Committee meeting and one Full Senate.
- Email the, Senate Speaker, about being added to the Senate email list.
Understand the Commitment
- Every Senator must be a member of a committee.
- Committee meetings are held every Tuesday at 7:00PM. Meetings last one hour.
- Full Senate is every other Wednesday at 6:00PM. Full Senate can last one hour to three hours. Formal dress is required.
- Senators are required to go to all the above meetings or send a proxy (a non-senator) to fill in for their absence. A Senator gets three excused absences a Semester.
- Each Senate seat is a 1 year commitment.
Understand the Different Types of Senators
- MSA Senate has At-Large seats available for prospective senators to fill throughout the year. These seats are designed for individuals seeking election without any prior experience to MSA. These seats are elected by current Senators. While Senate entertains at-large applications year round, there will be a special election set during each academic year in which the only order of business will be to discuss and elect at-large candidates.
- MSA Senate has Academic College seats available that go up for election in November and March of every year. The BEC is in charge of these elections. Academic College seats are elected by undergraduates of each college. You campaign for your seat during the specified election period (contact the BEC Chairperson at firstname.lastname@example.org). It is suggested that all Academic College seats campaign online and in person to get people to vote for them.
NOTE: You do not have to be a senator to receive the senate emails, attend committees, start projects, or go to full senate. You have to be a senator to cast a vote. We are always welcoming new members, and have even developed a new-senator caucus and mentorship program to make sure that all new members feel welcome in our chambers.